Who Are You, Anyway?

I walked a thousand miles while everyone was asleep...nobody's really seen my million subtleties...

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

"My Biological Clock is Ticking"

We can all name at least one woman we know over 30 who has recited this line at one time or another. We hear it and we think, "uh-oh, she's ready to have babies and become a momma." This is the line I got from the Chef yesterday as I inquired about whether I'd be getting twice daily cleaning of my pipes . His confirmation was followed by, "cause my biological clock is ticking."

WTF? You have got to be f*cking kidding me! Isn't that supposed to be my line? I almost fell off the sofa.

What clock? Do men have clocks too? This is too weird, I feel like I'm in some alternate universe. The response I got was " no man will ever admit that he wonders about whether he will marry and have a family. Especially with the changing roles of women. Women are a lot more independent now and many aren't looking to move headlong into marriage and family."
You're damn right we're not!

Some of us don't want to be tied down with husbands and diapers and soccer games. Now I can't speak for every woman, but I can certainly speak for myself when I say, "I'm in no rush."
Here's the thing... I'm selfish! (at least I'm honest about it) I've been taking care of myself for so long, that's all I know how to do. The times where I actually took care of other people... I got paid for it (albeit peanuts). I would never have taken the job at the Non-Profit That Keeps on Taking as a volunteer. I'm not sure I'm even cut out for the motherhood thing. So far, what I've seen is that it's a total crapshoot, and the odds suck! And I'm a bettin' woman!

The Chef is the first ( and probably only) man that will admit he worries about having a family. I never thought I'd hear a man say such a thing. It just goes to show that you never know with men, you just never know!

In the meantime, he should stop listening to his ticking biological clock and turn up the radio or something!