Who Are You, Anyway?

I walked a thousand miles while everyone was asleep...nobody's really seen my million subtleties...

Monday, July 04, 2005

Independence Day- Says Who?

Today is July 4th.. Independence Day.. but I don't feel free. I am shackled to the famliy unit for sun, fun, and grilling. What's not to love about this you ask? Well the fact that my Mom can be a a bit neurotic, it's hot as shit outside, and I'm just not in the mood!

What would be an ideal situation? What would be the perfect day?

Well, the perfect Independence Day for me would be sitting in an aire conditioned room with a big screen TV, munching on grilled burgers and steak (grilled lovingly by Jeeves the butler) , and watching all my favorite movies. That would be a perfect day. Of course, in between movies I'd engage in urbane conversations with friends and family while sipping chilled glasses of my favorite chardonnay or
Berry Wine.

It's all about the independence factor...which today is sadly missing from this days festivities. I could scream! Shouldn't I be celebrating the fact that I am now INDEPENDENT from the parental units? Shouldn't I be having it MY WAY? Don't get me wrong. I love the fam, I just don't want to be bothered today. Maybe I am going against the proverbial grain by not wanting to celebrate the holiday because society says that I should.

Maybe the heat is making me crabby, maybe I'm just not into July 4th festivities. I can honestly say it is the one holiday that I could care less about...I can take it or leave it. I never want to do anything on July 4th, the thought of entertaining people...friend, family or acquaintance... is enough to make me want to slit my wrists. This may seem a bit harsh to some...GET OVER IT!...Besides, if you had a dollar for everytime I wanted to slit my wrist...you'd be rich.

Honestly, to me Independence Day is a day that I just want to veg out. You know, be still like vegatables.. lie like broccoli (line from Pretty Woman- a fav!). That 's how I choose to express MY independence.