Who Are You, Anyway?

I walked a thousand miles while everyone was asleep...nobody's really seen my million subtleties...

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Different Love Languages

I have figured out my "love language."

I have also figured out why The Chef and I didn't work out.

But first, what's this love language stuff?

I recently read a book called
The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. This book is an excellent read and is a must have for anyone that wants to understand themselves or their loved ones. The book discusses that we each have a primary love language that we use to show those around us that we love and care for them.

The 5 Love Langauges are:

1. Words of Affirmation
2. Receiving Gifts
3. Quality Time
4. Acts of Service
5. Physical Touch

Oftentimes we don't speak the same love language as our partners or loved ones. But not to worry, even if we don't speak the same love language, we can learn to by understanding how the important people in our lives express love.

I learned that my love language is "Quality time." If you want to express love and speak my language, then spend time with me. Simple, huh?
The Chef's love language is "Acts of Service." He expressed love by performing various acts of service to those in his life. The reason we didn't work out is because we didn't speak the same love language, and although he didn't speak my love language... he didn't seem interested in trying to learn it either.

So we didn't make it.

I am not angry, I'm not even bitter... in fact I feel it was a complete learning experience and further prepared me for the one that will come along that will speak my language or will eagerly learn it.

Go out and find you love language. Get a better, deeper understanding of yourself... and those around you.

What's you're love language?